I teach history of science at the University of Bergamo and have been Professeur invité at the Université Paris 7 Denis Diderot and Mellon Visiting Professor at the California Institute of Technology.
I hold degrees in physics and philosophy awarded by the Università degli Studi di Milano.
My Ph.D thesis devoted to the reception of Newton's method of fluxions was written under the supervision of Ivor Grattan-Guinness at Middlesex Polytechnic and published by CUP in 1989.
I am the author of
- The Development of Newtonian Calculus in Britain, 1700-1800, Cambridge University Press, 1989.
- Reading the Principia: the Debate on Newton's Mathematical Methods for Natural Philosophy from 1687 to 1736, Cambridge University Press, 1999.
- Isaac Newton on Mathematical Certainty and Method, MIT Press, 2009.
- Newton: un Filosofo della Natura e il Sistema del Mondo, Le Scienze, 1998 (translations in German, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch).
- the Executive Committee of the International Commission for the History of Mathematics.
- the Académie Internationale d'Histoire des Sciences (effective member).
- Nuncius: Journal of the Material and Visual History of Science.
- Archive for History of Exact Sciences.
- Early Science and Medicine.
- HOPOS: The Journal of the International Society for the History of Philosophy of Science.
- the new series Documents for the History of Mathematics, Universitätsverlag Göttingen.
- Selma V. Forkosch Prize for the best article published in the Journal of the History of Ideas in 2013.
- Sarton Medal awarded by the University of Ghent, Belgium.
- Fernando Gil International Prize for the Philosophy of Science, presented by the Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology and the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation.
- Selezione Giuria Scientifica del Premio Letterario Galileo per la Divulgazione Scientifica - anno 2012, prize presented by Comune di Padova.
I am Co-Editor in Chief of Historia Mathematica.